Getting Back In The Game, Yo.
I don’t even want to talk about how long it’s been since I’ve posted something.
Hey! How’s it going?
I’ve been good, good. Thanks for asking.
As you may have surmised, I’ve been busy as all get-out these days. No sooner did I finish up some books for Stone Arch, than I ended up working on a couple titles for Picture Window Books and then 2 more for Stone Arch again. It’s been crazy. It’s gotten to the point where I’m having trouble finding time to work on some of my side projects.
Yeah. Those elusive side projects.
Oh, and sending query letters out? I haven’t done much of that lately, either. But that’s going to change.
It sort of has to. I mean, it’s a rare thing to have an agent actually reach out and find YOU…although, that did happen and ultimately it didn’t work out. But I digress.
Also: I’m rambling.
So, here’s the deal and sort of my game plan for the summer/rest of the year…you know, if you’re interested.
1. FINISH THE NEW JAKE MADDOX BOOKS – Did I mention that I was asked to write a couple more a month or so back? Yep. I was given a couple more MG sports books in their huge series. This time around, I got to tackle BMX and SKATEBOARDING. I’ve sent drafts to my editor and heard back on one. Just a few tweaks and the BMX one is good to go. Love, love, love working with the good peeps at Stone Arch. Seriously. I hope this relationship we’ve got keeps on keepin’ on.
2. WRITE THE NEW 4 BOOKS IN THE ‘LEGEND’ SERIES – Just last few weeks (or so) I was asked to write 4 more books in the series I’ve got going with Picture Windows. Remember the VAMPIRE, WEREWOLF, BIGFOOT, BERMUDA TRIANGLE series? Of course you don’t. Those bad-boys don’t come out until August. But, that’s only the half of it. They asked me to continue on this X-File-esqe non-fiction series with 4 new titles. Check it: LOCH NESS MONSTER, UFOs, ATLANTIS, and…(wait for it) ZOMBIES. I’m stoked. So far I’ve got the research outline for LOCH NESS done. Hoping to carve out UFOs in the next week. Holler.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention how wickedly awesome Picture Windows Books has been to me. These guys have been fantastic to work with and have KEPT. ME. BUSY. If allowed, I would write for them until I’m old old and crusty. Or, you know…crustier.
3. GET BACK TO WORK ON ‘LITTLE BROKEN WINGS’ – I started strong with my MG book for boys that could and I think I’ll be able to finish it this summer. My original plan was to fast-draft it over June, but these new books fell in my lap and…yeah. Not going to happen this month. Regardless, I still really like the concept and I think it’s going to turn out pretty dang slick.
4. QUERY IT UP – An eye-opening realization hit me today. I queried GOODHALO in 2008! Dang! That seems like forever ago. Now, I’ve got ANNA 2.0 ready for prime time and I’ve been sort of skittish about sending it to people. One of the things that is sort of eating at me is that ANNA 2.0 is sort of IRON MAN MEETS VERONICA MARS. Sort of. I wonder if agents and such might think I cobbled this thing together in the wake of Iron Man’s popularity. I didn’t. Truth be told, I wrote the thing almost 3 years ago, the fall before the original movie came out. Granted, the comic book has been around forever, but whatevs. It’s not the same. In my humble opinion, it stands on its own. Anyway…I’m going to get ANNA out into the world and see what happens. I’ve got plenty else to work on while waiting for responses, methinks.
5. SUPER SECRET PROJECT – It’s been rattling around in my head for some time, but I’m going to take a crack at a contemporary YA book geared for dudes. It’ll likely be darker and a bit more edgy than anything else I’ve written. The title I’ve got for it (as of now) is NOTHING MUCH. I’m going to probably write it in 1st person, too. My plan is to write it without over-thinking the bejesus out of it. Sometimes, I find myself sort of filtering myself when writing, worried that I’m going to offend or turn off potential publishing pardners.
6. PITCH LIKE THE WIND – I discovered that I’m allowed (and encouraged!) to pitch potential series ideas to the editors I’m working with. I’m going to take a crack at this by summer’s end. I’ve got some ideas, y’all. I’m finding the ideas come pretty fast n’ furious for me, but it’s the time to actually execute all of my plans that seems to be a rare commodity.
7. GOODHALO III – Even if the rest of the world isn’t ready for G3, I feel like I need to write it…and soon. It’s going to be a monster, so my plan is to make this my winter project. Hopefully, I’ll emerge from the cold n’ snow with a big fat book tying up all the loose ends from the first 2 books. Oh…what? You didn’t know I wrote a sequel to a book that hasn’t been picked up? I did…and it’s a monster. GOODHALO II is dark, action-packed and was a blast to write. I haven’t looked at it in a little over a year, but I will. I know the Zombie Renaissance (as I call it) is in full effect, but am I crazy in noticing that there really isn’t a solid zombie series out there for boys? I can’t help but feel like I must be missing something.
So, I’ve got lots to do and while I’m not making any promises, I’m hoping to do more on this ol’ blog. It’ll happen. Have some faith in a fella.
Until next time, wipe your nose and run a brush over those choppers, would you? It’s time you learned to take care of yourself.